Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Tragic Transcription Fail/Sucess

Wow. I finally upgraded my OS to Snow Leopard specifically so I could attempt to use Dragon Dictate, a program that learns to recognize speech and type it up for you. My hope was t use this program to transcribe my interview transcripts but a trial run just now resulted in something like, "though go this to um bulging and to way you". No joke, "bulging" was in there.

So it's looks like I'll be transcribing the old fashioned way (as opposed to the very old fashioned way) where I play, type, pause, catch up, play type, pause, catch up. Or maybe I'll cheat and just note timecodes of pertinent information such as "community", "social justice", "activism, "youth voice," and the like.

Curses! When I left professional editing to come to graduate school, I truly thanked the universe for offering me a path where I could forget the horrors of transcribing video footage. It is so tedious! so torturous! so awful! that I'll commit to getting it all done in a single day so it's just... over with. If I cheat. If I do it proper.... well, it'll take til the end of the month, at least. This is what I get for hiring interns to do the dirty transcribing work for so many years...

... at least my computer is up to speed for the decade though. It probably won't be upgraded again until Superlion OS XIV comes out in never.

I guess this is also a good sign that I should at least pretend to meet my own deadlines and wrap up this Parameters section tonight...

ADD: for the record this is my voice dictating to dictate Dragon. and, for the record, the following is what Dragon Dictate thought was being said when I played a personal introduction of an interview through my computer speakers aimed at the internal microphone:

"I is and is what news do is open a allusion to you is associate with a a new world we knew low what evolution is usually loses you know working as a research assistant gave him you produce a movement of goods interviews and 20 00 does also eight Julia Sancho is bulging with his oh so we will oh do it also you will a huge trouble soon only restriction she is RESEARCH it is a or"

Do you see that? Bulging again. I think this is how people generate spam e-mails.

(when i'm the one talking this program is actually pretty insanely amazing. maybe i'll dictate the whole rest of my thesis!)

No comments:

Post a Comment